Connect with us

Canada

Quebec reports another quadruple-digit COVID-19 case count, 20 new deaths

Quebec is reporting another quadruple-digit new COVID-19 case count and 20 additional deaths. 

The province hardest-hit by the novel coronavirus recorded 1,033 new cases in its Thursday update. Five hundred and fifty three people are in hospital, including 101 in intensive care. 

A union is calling for the Olymel pork processing plant southeast of Quebec City to close after 40 workers tested positive for the novel coronavirus

One worker died Wednesday after testing positive the day before, but Olymel says it’s unclear whether the worker’s death was caused by the novel coronavirus.

Meanwhile, Ontario is reporting 841 new cases of COVID-19 today as another Toronto hospital declared an outbreak. 

Canada’s most populous province also recorded nine more deaths from the virus.

Two hundred and seventy people are in hospital, including 74 in intensive care and 48 on ventilators. 

The Scarborough Health Network says six patients are infected in one unit at its general hospital in the city’s east end.

St. Michael’s Hospital, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto Western Hospital and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health have also declared outbreaks among staff or patients.

In Alberta, Premier Jason Kenney said late Wednesday that he had tested negative for COVID-19, but will continue to isolate at home for another week. 

Kenney was tested Wednesday afternoon because he attended events with Municipal Affairs Minister Tracy Allard, who has contracted COVID-19, last week. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 22, 2020. 

The Canadian Press

Comments

Copyright © 2020 DAILY PATRON powered by Media Nri Ltd.