Connect with us

Canada

Ontario Premier Doug Ford Defending Himself Against $5M Defamation Lawsuit

Ontario Premier Doug Ford Defending Himself Against $5M Defamation Lawsuit

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is trying to defend himself against $5M defamation lawsuit by OPP deputy Brad Blair. He is denying any wrongdoing and claimed Blair violated the Police Services Act. Noticeably, Brad Blair filed a $5 million defamation suit against Doug Ford.

Also, his lawyer said Ford was defending himself against “malicious” public attack. As the premier made comments about high ranking Ontario provincial police office. Now, the former officer is suing him.

Blair Purported Ford defamed his reputation for political gain. Doug Ford said the officer violated the act by publically raising questions about appointing of Ron Taverner as an OPP Commissioner.

On Friday, the premier filed defence statement at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. He said his comments came in response to a calculated, widely publicized, malicious personal and political attack by Brad Blair.

In addition, Blair’s defamation claim is only restraining Ford from speaking as a duly elected Premier of Ontario, said statement.

According to Ford’s defence statement, the “attack” here refers to a letter written by OPP deputy to Ontario’s Ombudsman, Paul Dube. Particularly, the letter was written on December 11, 2018.

Premier is saying that Blair is improperly using his position to advance his own interests.

Appointment of Taverner: Family Friend of Doug Ford –

Blair wanted the investigation of Taverner, Doug’s family friend’s appointment as OPP commissioner even after being ineligible.

Interestingly, the original job post requires at least deputy police chief or any other high rank in major police service. Notably, Taverner didn’t meet the criteria. After all the controversy, Taverner withdrew from post-appointment. Later on, the government appointed another eligible candidate to the post.

Also Read: US President Trump Spoke To Saudi Arabia About Increasing Oil Flow.

Now, Brad Blair has been fired from the police services as Doug Ford defamed him of violating the law. Although, Blair’s lawyer believes former officer never received notice of a complaint under the Police Services Act or any findings that he violated it.

In a meanwhile, Doug Ford’s lawyers are allegedly calling Blair’s lawsuit abuse to process. They are also asking for the dismissal of it.

For more fresh news regarding technology, current affairs & Hollywood subscribe to Daily Patron. 

Continue Reading
Comments

Canada

Helicopter was preparing to land before fatal Newfoundland crash: TSB

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says a helicopter that crashed near a Newfoundland lake last month was preparing to land and refuel before the pilot lost control of the aircraft.

The federal agency shared new details today about the ongoing investigation into the July 20 crash that killed one man near Thorburn Lake, about 200 kilometres northwest of St. John’s.

Three men were on board the Robinson R44 light utility helicopter that had left Springdale Airport in Newfoundland on one leg of a cross-country pleasure flight.

The pilot had planned to refuel at a maintenance facility on the northeast side of the lake and completed a circuit around the gravel parking lot where he wanted to land.

TSB investigators say as the helicopter began to climb vertically from tree-top level, the pilot lost control and the aircraft crashed into the ground.

RCMP said a 69-year-old Gambo man died at the scene and two others, a 68-year-old man from Aquaforte and a 54-year-old man from St. John’s, were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 14, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Canada

Man pleads guilty in gas-and-dash death of Alberta gas station owner

WETASKIWIN, Alta. — A man who was charged with second-degree murder after an Alberta gas station owner was killed in a gas-and-dash has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Ki Yun Jo, who was 54, was killed outside his Fas Gas station in Thorsby, about 70 kilometres southwest of Edmonton, on Oct. 6, 2017.

Police have said he tried to stop a driver who sped off in a stolen white cub van without paying for fuel.

A witness saw Jo hanging onto the van’s passenger side mirror and, when the vehicle swerved, he was tossed to the ground and run over.

Twenty-nine year old Mitchell Robert Sydlowski of Spruce Grove, Alta., also pleaded guilty in a Wetaskiwin courtroom to failing to remain at the scene of a fatal accident.

Shortly after Jo’s death, the Alberta government moved to bring in legislation requiring drivers to prepay before filling up at gas stations.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on Aug. 14, 2020

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Canada

Montreal’s Notre-Dame Basilica faces funding crunch as COVID-19 curbs tourism

MONTREAL — One of Canada’s best-known religious landmarks, the Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, is seeking urgent government assistance to withstand a budget shortfall caused by COVID-19.

Claudia Morissette, director of the historic church in Old Montreal, said Notre-Dame expects to be short about $12 million in revenues this year as cultural events and guided visits remain suspended due to the pandemic.

“It’s huge. It represents 85 per cent of our total revenue,” Morissette said in an interview.

She said that money is “absolutely necessary” to preserve and restore the stone church, which was constructed in the 1820s in the Gothic Revival style and remains one of the main tourist destinations in the city, welcoming around one million visitors per year before the pandemic.

A first phase of restoration work is already underway on its facade, but Morissette said the church is concerned it will not be able to finance the second and third phases of restoration on the building’s east and west towers.

These first three phases are expected to cost $9.2 million out of a total of nearly $30 million of work needed to preserve and restore the building over the next decade, the church estimates.

“We can’t press pause (on phases two and three) because that would risk putting the integrity of the towers in peril and (could) even become dangerous,” said Morissette, adding that delays on the work could also lead to an increase in overall costs.

Notre-Dame is not the only church in Quebec facing economic challenges due to COVID-19, which has hit the province hard.

Across the province, where the Catholic Church historically played a central role but has seen a decline in recent decades, many churches have struggled to pay rent and maintain their aging buildings as the pandemic forced them this spring to suspend in-person services.

Quebec’s Culture Department announced last month that it would invest $15 million to preserve religious heritage, targeting 62 buildings and three organs. Culture Minister Nathalie Roy said the investment also would help stimulate the economy and create jobs for artisans and labourers.

Morissette said Notre-Dame received $1 million last year from Quebec’s Religious Heritage Council, a non-profit organization that supports the conservation of historic buildings, to help finance part of phase one of its restoration. But the church did not get any of the new funding.

“We understand that (the money) goes quickly, and we also understand that we’re not the only ones. We know that COVID-19 affected many people,” Morissette said. “But we’re a major attraction. We are one of the major patrimonial jewels.”

The Quebec Culture Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Canadian Press.

Andreanne Jalbert-Laramee, cultural heritage adviser at Quebec’s Religious Heritage Council, said that if Notre-Dame is struggling, smaller and less renowned churches are no doubt struggling, too.

“The worry is that if their financial situation is difficult, they will delay these restoration projects, this work, and that will make the situation even more difficult for those buildings,” Jalbert-Laramee said in an interview.

She said that while about $40 million is needed to restore and preserve religious heritage buildings across Quebec, the government’s $15-million investment is a good step.

“These are interventions that are essential for the survival of these buildings,” Jalbert-Laramee said. “We see that the need is great, the need is there.”

For her part, Morissette said she remains concerned the Notre-Dame Basilica will not be able to finance its restoration.

While daily masses resumed last month, guided tours and shows that draw tourists to the church have not — meaning that Notre-Dame missed out on the summer tourist season, which typically draws hundreds of thousands of visitors.

The church said it sold nearly 833,500 tickets for guided tours and over 227,000 tickets to its light show called Aura in 2018.

Morissette called for any of the three levels of government — federal, provincial and municipal — to provide urgent financial aid to help Notre-Dame withstand its losses.

“Because it’s the symbol of the founding of the City of Montreal, that it’s one of the most well-known religious monuments in North America, that it’s the main tourist attraction in Old Montreal … we need to preserve this gem so that the next generations can enjoy it,” she said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 14, 2020.

Jillian Kestler-D’Amours, The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DAILY PATRON powered by Media Nri Ltd.