The United Kingdom is working on to train Google Assistant & Alexa for providing quick & accurate information to the citizens. The craze of these smart speakers is growing extensively. This process will help those people who can’t use a computer or smartphones.
From the last six months, experts of Government Digital Service have been working on this project. If successful it will allow people to access information from GOV.UK directly from smart-speakers without using a computer.
Notably, both Google Assistant & Alexa start browsing on web pages whenever you ask them a question. That’s why the government of the UK is feeding up these two with “12000 information pieces” from GOV.UK website.
It includes questions such as; how to apply for a passport? How to get child-care? In addition, it includes information about renewing car tax etc. The team is training both the smart assistants to answer 1200 such questions.
GOV.UK Head, Jennifer Allum said, “We want to simplify people’s interaction with the government, making information clear and accessible to everyone. These results are promising because voice services can be a really convenient way to get information, particularly for people who find computers and phones hard to use.”
Similarly, Minister for Implementation, Oliver Dowden said, “This is all about making life easier for people who need to access information about government services. And with millions now using smart speakers, I want the government to keep up and work smarter too.”
Kuwait emir, 91, to go to US for medical care after surgery
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Kuwait says its 91-year-old ruling emir, who recently underwent surgery, will travel to the U.S. for further medical care.
That’s according to a report Wednesday night by the state-run KUNA news agency.
Kuwait has yet to elaborate what required Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah to seek a previously unannounced medical treatment beginning Saturday. However, Sheikh Sabah’s sudden surgery could inspire a renewed power struggle within Kuwait’s ruling family.
Sheikh Sabah will leave for the U.S. on Thursday morning.
The Associated Press
US sales of existing homes jump 20% after a 3-month slump
BALTIMORE — Americans stepped up their home purchases in June by a robust 20.7% after the pandemic had caused sales to crater in the prior three months. But the housing market could struggle to rebound further in the face of the resurgent viral outbreak and a shrinking supply of homes for sale.
Sales of existing homes rose last month to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 4.72 million, the National Association of Realtors said Wednesday. Despite the sharp gain, purchases are still down 11.3% from a year ago, when homes had sold at an annual pace of 5.32 million. And Lawerence Yun, the Realtors’ chief economist, noted that sales remain roughly 20% below their pre-pandemic levels.
At the same time, housing has managed to avoid a deeper slump from the severe recession caused by the coronavirus. Demand has remained strong among buyers who have managed to weather the downturn, while record-low mortgage rates have helped sustain affordability.
“Buyers are out in force, but new listings remain the key to housing’s recovery,” said Danielle Hale, chief economist at Realtor.com. “More sellers are needed before we’ll see year over year gains in home sales.”
The number of property listings has plunged 18.2% from a year ago to 1.57 million. It’s the 13th straight month of shrinking supply on an annual basis. The shortage of homes makes it unlikely that the housing industry can significantly boost the overall economy.
Home buyers typically purchase new furniture and fix up older properties. Their ability to deliver such a spending boost is constrained if they can’t find an available house. The limited supply is also forcing up prices just when many Americans are struggling with financial uncertainty because of the recession.
The combination of steady demand and falling mortgage rates has helped fuel a 3.5% rise in the median price of an existing home over the past year to $295,300.
Home sales rose in the Northeast, Midwest, South and West last month. But the increases were most dramatic in the West, with a 32% gain and the South with a 26% gain.
Josh Boak, The Associated Press
2 more ex-Wirecard managers arrested, ex-CEO back in custody
BERLIN — Two more former executives at bankrupt German payment company Wirecard were arrested on Wednesday in the fraud scandal that brought down the one-time tech star and its former CEO was taken back into custody after the case against him was expanded, prosecutors said.
The two newly arrested ex-managers are the company’s chief financial officer until the end of 2017 and its former head of accounting, Munich prosecutor Anne Leiding said. She identified them only as L. and von E. respectively, in keeping with German privacy rules.
The case against ex-CEO Markus Braun was expanded and a court ordered him kept in custody, Leiding said. Braun was first arrested last month on suspicion of market manipulation and falsifying financial results, and then released on bail. A fourth former executive, the head of a subsidiary in Dubai, was arrested in early July.
Wirecard filed for protection from creditors through an insolvency proceeding on June 25 after executives admitted that 1.9 billion euros ($2.2 billion) that had been represented as being held in trust accounts in the Philippines probably did not exist. The company said it is investigating the scope of its business handling payments through regional third parties, a major source of profits, and how that business was being conducted.
Leiding said prosecutors believe that the four suspects arrested, along with others, agreed in 2015 to inflate Wirecard’s balance sheet by faking income from business with so-called third-party acquirers, making it more attractive to potential investors.
“In reality, it was clear to the suspects by the end of 2015 at the latest that Wirecard was losing money overall with its actual business,” she told reporters. The suspects initiated talks that resulted in banks in Germany and Japan – along with other investors hoodwinked by the over-rosy annual accounts – providing some 3.2 billion euros in total, Leiding said. The moneyis probably lost now that the company is insolvent, she added.
Leiding wouldn’t break down the potential charges against the individual suspects, but said they include fraud, breach of trust, misrepresentation and market manipulation.
The Wirecard debacle has raised questions about the effectiveness of German financial regulation, and about who in the government knew what when. It has been viewed as a setback for the investment climate and attempts to promote the country as a base for financial services companies.
The Associated Press
Feds create task force to help get Canadians home after Beirut blast
Cohen’s book foreword: Trump ‘wouldn’t mind if I was dead’
Freshii sees $525K net loss in second quarter amid COVID-19 pandemic
Russia registers virus vaccine, Putin’s daughter given it
Homicide, thefts, fraud: Alarming increases in brazen crime in Winnipeg
German economy plunged 10% during 2nd quarter amid pandemic
General News11 hours ago
US seizes digital currency accounts used by militant groups
General News22 hours ago
US says Iran briefly seizes oil tanker near Strait of Hormuz
Canada18 hours ago
Gun buyback plan and Sarah Cooper gets Netflix special: In The News for Aug. 13
Opinion6 hours ago
SHEDDING SOME LIGHT ON THE DARK SCANDALOUS CAREER OF KAMALA HARRIS
General News14 hours ago
Bob Woodward’s new Trump book, ‘Rage,’ due out next month
General News11 hours ago
Facebook beefs up anti-misinfo efforts ahead of US election
General News22 hours ago
Lives Lost: Woman who performanced Shakespeare on the street
Canada23 hours ago
Ball python that went missing in Victoria found hiding under vehicle