Connect with us

News

US Measles Outbreak – Case Numbers Broke All Records

US Measles Outbreak - Case Numbers Broke All Records

United States Measles case broke all the records since 200. In 2000, measles was declared eliminated nationwide. This year, there is a total of 695 cases all across 22 states of the US. Let’s dig through US Measles Outbreak in brief.

Measles is a pandemic disease caused by a transmissible virus. It spread through the air, whenever an infected person sneezes or cough. Symptoms of this disease include fever, runny nose, cough, red spots, rashes and watery eyes.

Previously in 2014, the highest number was 667 cases.

On Monday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 626 individual measles cases in 22 states. It includes state health departments’ illness reports to the CDC through 19th April. Thus, it doesn’t include cases reported since then.

US Measles Outbreak- States Affected:

There are many states reporting measles case in the US. These states are as following:

  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • New Hampshire
  • Arizona
  • California
  • New York
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Iowa
  • New Jersey
  • Kentuck
  • Maryland
  • Washington
  • Massachusetts
  • Illinois
  • Michigan
  • Indiana
  • Missouri
  • Nevada

Notably, the CDC said in a statement that as of 3 p.m. Wednesday it counted 695 cases of the illness this year.

Also, the agency will not update its website with the new numbers until Monday. So, it was just a break from CD practice of updating measles number weekly.

in addition, Federal health officials remained silent even after the soaring case numbers.

Also Read: Saudi Arabia Government Executed 37 People Accused Of Terrorism Crime.

But, on Wednesday, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar released a statement. It said, “The United States is seeing a resurgence of measles, a disease that had once been effectively eliminated from our country.”

Most of the cases emerged in communities with low vaccination rates against the virus.

The CDC says 91.5% of US children aged 19 months to 35 months received at least one dose of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine in 2017. Notably, the year 2018 data isn’t available.

Thus, most of the US has high measles vaccination coverage.

Dr Nancy Messonnier, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases’ director said, “Outbreaks of measles occur when measles gets into these communities of unvaccinated people. The only way to protect against measles is to get vaccinated.”

Also, these outbreaks are linked to infected travellers. Thus, they brought back the disease from Ukraine, Iran and the Philippines.

So, this was everything about the US Measles Outbreak. For more fresh news stay tuned to Daily Patron.

Continue Reading
Comments

Canada

B.C. students to return to school Sept. 10 as part of gradual restart

VICTORIA — British Columbia’s Education Ministry says children will be returning to classrooms two days later than originally planned as part of a gradual restart to schooling.

Education Minister Rob Fleming told reporters Tuesday that students wouldn’t be expected back on the original date of Sept. 8 to help give administrators and teachers more time to prepare for education amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The ministry now says in a release that staff will meet on Sept. 8, while students will be welcomed in classrooms by Sept. 10.

A government steering committee, established to help schools plan their restart, will issue operational guidelines next week on issues ranging from health and safety protocols to supporting the mental health of students.

The change in the start date comes after concerns were raised by the BC Teachers’ Federation and the BC Principals’ and Vice-Principals’ Association.

Federation president Teri Mooring has called for more details on the government’s school plan, saying the information is needed for educators and parents.

This report was first published by The Canadian Press on Aug. 12, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Canada

Feds commit $305M in additional funds for Indigenous communities during COVID-19

OTTAWA — The federal government has announced an additional $305 million to help Indigenous Peoples combat COVID-19.

Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller says the money is meant to help Indigenous communities prepare for emergencies and prevent the spread of the new coronavirus.

He says communities can also use the money for a variety of other measures, including helping elders and vulnerable people, food insecurity, educational and other supports for children and mental health assistance.

The new money will flow through the Indigenous community support fund, bringing the total amount to $685 million this year.

Some funding will also go to First Nations living off-reserve as well as Inuit and Metis people living in urban centres, distributed based on need through an application process.

Miller says Ottawa is committed to ensuring Indigenous leaders have the tools and support they need to implement the various aspects of their pandemic plans.

“This funding will provide crucial support to key community initiatives that strive to prevent, prepare for and respond to COVID-19 in First Nations, Inuit and Metis communities,” he said.

“This approach aligns with our commitment to support Indigenous leadership’s approaches to community wellness while providing the flexibility to respond to emerging needs, for example in response to an outbreak of COVID-19.”

To date there have been 425 confirmed cases of COVID-19 on First Nations reserves, with 34 people hospitalized. Of these, 393 have recovered from the virus. There have also been 17 cases in the Nunavik region in northern Quebec. All have recovered.

The federal government has acknowledged that COVID-19 case counts among Indigenous Peoples do not reflect the true impact on Indigenous communities and individuals, as they only capture statistics from those living on reserves or in Inuit territories. The majority of Indigenous people in Canada live off reserve.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 12, 2020.

Teresa Wright, The Canadian Press


Continue Reading

Canada

Carleton ends student placements with police over failures to address racism

OTTAWA — Carleton University’s criminology school says it will no longer place students to work with police forces and prisons as a show of solidarity with the movement to address systemic racism in Canada’s criminal justice institutions.

Carleton’s Institute of Criminology and Criminal Justice said in a statement Tuesday that the move will affect about 22 student placement positions in the 2020-2021 school year.

Since its creation 21 years ago, the institute says thousands of students have gained experience in the field through placements with the RCMP, Correctional Services Canada, the Ottawa Police Service and the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre.

Faculty say the decision to end these opportunities comes in response to calls for organizations to cut ties with law enforcement agencies facing mounting public scrutiny over racist practices.

They say these institutions have demonstrated their “imperviousness to reform,” pointing to the recent string of police killings of Black, Indigenous or otherwise racialized people and those suffering from mental health challenges.

The institute says it hopes to expand student placement opportunities at research initiatives and community-based organizations working on a range of issues related to policing, criminal justice and social welfare.

Carleton is one of many schools with criminology programs that are re-examining their relationships with law enforcement as the push to reform or defund police forces gains traction across Canada.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 12, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 DAILY PATRON powered by Media Nri Ltd.