Connect with us

Ontario

No grounds to charge officers in death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet:SIU

TORONTO — Ontario’s police watchdog says there are no grounds to charge officers who were in the home of Regis Korchinski-Paquet when she fell to her death from a Toronto balcony.

The Special Investigations Unit says six officers were in the 29-year-old woman’s home when she fell from the balcony in May, while her mother and brother were nearby.

SIU director Joseph Martino says there’s no evidence the officers committed a crime.

The decision comes after the arm’s-length agency interviewed all six officers, along with 15 civilian witnesses.

The agency says investigators also received a written statement from the Korchinski-Paquet’s father, with whom she had been speaking on the phone.

Korchinski-Paquet’s death sparked protests in the city and calls to change the way police deal with people in mental health crisis.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 26, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version misidentified the director of the Special Investigations Unit.

Comments

Copyright © 2020 DAILY PATRON powered by Media Nri Ltd.